Now that fresh berries are available at local fruit markets and pick-your-own berry farms, here’s a cool, summery salad from Chef Robert Smith of Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis that you’ll want to try. It’s delicious as a side salad, or make it a meal with slices of grilled chicken breast.
Summer Berry Salad with Balsamic-Honey Yogurt Dressing
Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 cups baby spinach greens
- 1/8 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/8 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/8 cup fresh blackberries
- 1/8 cup fresh strawberries
- 2 boneless pre-cooked grilled chicken breasts, (optional)
- 1 tablespoon candied walnuts, chopped (optional)
- ½ cup vanilla or plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey (clover or orange, if available)
Rinse each kind of berry separately and drain. Slice strawberries. In a bowl, gently toss berries together. (If adding chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces and toss with berries.)
In a separate bowl, whisk together the yogurt, vinegar and honey.
On individual salad plates, arrange equal amounts of greens. Top with equal amounts of the berry mix then drizzle 2 tablespoons of dressing over the top. Garnish with candied walnuts.