When you and your family are hungry for a steaming pot of healthy chili, here’s a recipe that you can have on the table in about 30 minutes. For a complete meal, serve with a hot corn muffin (easy to make from a boxed mix) and a tossed garden salad (with fat-free dressing).
White Chicken Chili
Makes 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 (15.8 ounce) cans BUSH’S® Great Northern or Navy Beans
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup corn (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped cooked chicken breast
- Shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- Low-fat sour cream or yogurt
In large skillet, cook onion in oil for 4 minutes or until transparent. Add chilies, flour and cumin. Stir and continue to cook for 2 minutes. Add beans, chicken broth and optional corn. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes more, or until thickened. Add chicken and cook until heated.
Garnish with cheese, sour cream or yogurt and salsa, if desired.
Nutritional information: 120 calories, 13 g carbohydrates,3 g fat, 12 g protein, 414 mg sodium.
Adapted from Bush’s Beans Family Favorite Recipes