Photorejuvenation is a light-based treatment using intense pulsed light (IPL) to treat a number of problems found in aging skin. Photorejuvenation is a cosmetic treatment designed to produce younger and healthier-looking skin. As we age, we begin to see visible signs of sun damage. Time and lifestyle choices also affect the appearance of our complexion. This aged look may include freckles, rosacea, wrinkles, broken capillaries, dark spots, blotchy skin color, redness of the face and neck, enlarged pore size and uneven pigmentation.
Photorejuvenation treatments initially require a series of four to five treatments performed approximately every three to four weeks followed by the use of quality skin care products, sun protection and potentially annual maintenance treatments. These treatments are commonly performed on areas such as the face, neck, chest, arms, hands, shoulders, legs and any other area with sun damage and photo aging. Just think, all those brown spots caused by years of sun exposure, those broken capillaries from age or that natural flushing red tone you’ve had since you were a child can be GONE!
The initial uses for this technology are:
- Sun damage to the face (photo aging): Treatment reduces freckling and irregular pigmentation and creates a smoother appearance to the skin and even some reduction in pore appearance.
- Sun damage to the chest and back (photo aging): Treatment reduces freckling and irregular pigmentation to the chest and back and improves the overall appearance of the skin. It also reduces redness on the chest associated with excessive sun exposure.
- Sun damage to the hands and arms (photo aging, also called “liver spots”): Treatment reduces freckling and irregular pigmentation to the hands and even the arms, with improvement in the thin-skin appearance of sun-damaged hands.
- Rosacea: Treatment reduces the overall redness; flushing and tiny blood vessels associated with the condition.
Technology has further improved with the evolution of the BBL (broad band light) laser device and the number of skin conditions that can be treated has expanded to include acne and hair reduction. BBL™ therapy also provides the added benefits of:
- Contact cooling that increases comfort
- The widest variety of treatment filters for a more precise treatment
- Improved skin health
- Delayed appearance of skin aging
- Reduced risk of non-melanoma skin cancer
With the use of BBL™ therapy – an advanced version of Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) technology – dramatic improvements can now be accomplished with little or no “downtime”, with very minimal discomfort and without destroying or removing the surface of the skin. The treatment area may appear flushed or sunburned for the first 24 hours or the pigmented areas may appear darker for 5–7 days post treatment, but these darker areas will eventually “flake off.” Makeup can be applied immediately following treatment (mineral makeup is recommended).
Photorejuvenation is the only procedure that can treat vascular redness, the appearance of rosacea, pigmented brown spots, sun damage, skin texture, and collagen structure all at once.