With most Kansas kids getting back to school this week, it’s a good time to revisit safety, especially when it comes to walking and biking to school.
Safe Kids reminds parents and kids to remember the following:
Reminders for drivers:
- Slow down and be especially alert in the residential neighborhoods and school zones.
- Take extra time to look for kids at intersections, on medians and on curbs.
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys slowly and carefully.
- Watch for children on and near the road in the morning and after school hours.
- Reduce any distractions inside your car so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings.
- Put down your phone and don’t talk or text while driving.
Reminders for kids:
- They should cross the street with an adult until they are at least 10 years old.
- Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks.
- Never run out into the streets or cross in between parked cars.
- Make sure they always walk in front of the bus where the driver can see them.