More than 200 women joined us for our June luncheon at Botanica about paths to a healthy weight — record attendance!
Justin Moore, MD, medical director for Via Christi Weight Management, spoke about the evolution of the treatment of obesity and gave some helpful statistics about why it’s important to be at a healthy weight.
One point he made is it’s not like people aren’t trying to lose weight. Forty percent of obese Americans say they’ve lost more than five percent of their body weight in the last year. Another 20 percent said they had lost 10 percent or more.
So what are Dr. Moore’s tips for weight reduction?
- Stop drinking calories such as fruit juices and sugary sodas.
- Move through space at least 30 additional minutes per day.
- Eat at least five servings (cups) of fruits and vegetables daily.
- Eat at least one “meal replacement” per day.
- Go to bed at night. Getting enough sleep is important.
- Get tested for sleep apnea if you don’t sleep well.
- If you can’t lose weight, get help.
If you weren’t able to join us for the luncheon, or missed some of the statistics Dr. Moore provided, you can see his PowerPoint presentation below.